Now BMW Motorrad is going further still with the attractive package "Touring Special”, enhancing the R 1200 R which already possesses strong all-round qualities - in terms of comfort and travel/touring suitability, as well as providing a visual upgrade.
With the R 1200 R, BMW Motorrad cultivates a tradition in roadster construction with stretches back over decades. With a spirited output of 80 kW (109 bhp), the naked bike of the flat twin “Boxer” series offers a virtually perfect synthesis of riding dynamics, agility and classic motorcycle design.
Fitted with this package, the 2011 BMW R1200R Touring-Special not only has an on board computer but also heated grips and a main stand.
In this version, the 2011 BMW R1200R Touring-Special particularly does justice to more exacting demands in relation to touring/travel suitability with a new comfort seat which is exclusively available as part of this package. As in the standard version, the seat height is 800 millimetres but with an inner leg length of 1840 mm (standard version: 1800 mm), thus providing an ergonomic triangle designed for even greater comfort. The specific ergonomic needs of tall riders are addressed by the optionally available high comfort seat with height of 830 mm and an inner leg length of 1860 mm.
The Sport windshield ensures perceptible relief for the upper body and further enhanced ride comfort, especially over longer stretches. For carrying luggage the special model of the R 1200 R has two 32-litre common locking panniers and a luggage rack.
The package “Touring Special” can be combined with all the standard paint finishes of the R 1200 R. A special touch is also added by the chrome exhaust system and the LED direction indicators.
Further options for individualisation are provided by the extensive BMW Motorrad program of special equipment and special accessories.
An overview of the main features of the new R 1200 R “Touring Special” package:
• Excellent all-round qualities.
• Air-cooled 2-cylinder flat twin engine with 1170 cc capacity and balancing shaft.
• Powerful engine with an output of 80 kW/109 bhp at 7 500 rpm.
• High maximum torque of 115 Nm at 6 000 rpm for excellent pulling power.
• Electronic engine management BMS-K with dual ignition, knock control, oxygen sensor and closed-loop three-way catalytic converter.
• Light and stable, two-section frame construction made of steel tubing.
• Rigid Telelever with sensitive response and a high degree of steering precision.
• Outstanding manoeuvrability, extremely high running stability.
• EVO Paralever with light universal drive.
• Electronic spring strut adjustment ESA on request.
• Powerful brake system.
• New BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (optional extra).
• Automatic Stability Control ASC (only in conjunction with Integral ABS; optional extra).
• Dynamic, modern and yet timeless design.
• New comfort seat (seat height 800 mm, inner leg length 1840 mm) or high comfort seat (seat height 830 mm, inner leg length 1860 mm).
• On-board computer.
• Heated grips.
• Main stand.
• LED direction indicators.
• Chrome exhaust system.
• Sport windshield.
• Large pannier fastenings, including luggage rack and pillion passenger grab handles.
• Common locking panniers.
2011 BMW R1200R Touring Special - Specifications
USA MSRP: Touring Package: $13,795
Canada MSRP: See Dealer for Current Pricing
Type Air/oil-cooled flat twin ('Boxer') 4-stroke, one camshaft and four valves per cylinder, central balancer shaft
Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
Capacity 1170 cc
Rated output 109hp (80 kW) at 7,500 rpm
Max. torque 85 lb/ft (115 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Compression ratio 12.0 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic intake pipe injection/BMS-K digital engine management with overrun fuel cut-off, twin-spark ignition
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed Over 125 mph (200 km/h)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 4.1 l
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h 5.5 l
Fuel type Unleaded premium
Alternator three-phase alternator 600 W
Battery 12 V / 14 Ah, maintenance-free
Clutch Single dry plate clutch, hydraulically operated
Gearbox Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
Drive Shaft drive
Chassis / brakes
Frame Two-section frame consisting of front and rear sections with load-bearing engine-gearbox unit
Front wheel location / suspension BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 35 mm, central spring strut
Rear wheel location / suspension Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; central spring strut, spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel; rebound damping adjustable
Suspension travel front / rear 4.7 inches (120 mm) / 5.5 inches (140 mm)
Wheelbase 58.9 inches (1495 mm)
Castor 4.7 inches (119 mm)
Steering head angle 62.9°
Wheels Cast aluminium
Rim, front 3.50 x 17''
Rim, rear 5.50 x 17''
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 180/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Twin disc, floating brake discs, 320 mm diameter, four-piston fixed calipers
Brake, rear Single disc brake, diameter 265 mm, double-piston floating caliper
ABS Optional extra: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
Dimensions / weights
Length 84.4 inches (2145 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 34.3 inches (872 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 50.6 inches (1285 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 31.5 inches (800 mm) (low seat: 30.3 inches [770 mm], high seat: 32.7 inches [830 mm])
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 70.9 inches (1800 mm) (low seat: 69.3 inches [1760 mm], high seat: 73.2 inches [1860 mm])
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 492 lbs (223 kg)
Dry weight 2) 437 lbs (198 kg)
Permitted total weight 992 lbs (450 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 500 lbs (227 kg)
Usable tank volume 4.6 U.S. gallons (18.0 l)
Reserve approx. 1 gallon (3.0 l)
Night Black Non-Metallic
Midnight black with stripe
Granite Gray Metallic
Biarritz Blue Metallic
1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume
2) Unladen weight without fluids